Have you ever read that section in Cosmo magazine where they have a page full of ‘hey it’s ok if…’? They are my favourite pages because it helps me to realise that I’m not the only one who thinks or does strange things.
I wanted to create a series of ‘It’s ok if…’ to help you feel like you’re not alone! We all do things that we’re too nervous to tell people in case they laugh at us. I’m here to tell you that it’s ok.
It’s ok if…
- You cried for the third time this week. Be kind to yourself.
- You treated yourself to ice cream AGAIN.
- All you did today was brush your teeth.
- You can’t face eating a healthy meal. Just make sure that you eat something.
- You have to go to the doctors to ask for medication.
- You need to go back to the doctors to get your medication checked.
- You go back to the doctors to ask for therapy.
- You break down in therapy and become a snotty mess. That’s what they’re there for!
- You decide that you just want to curl up in a chair instead of going to that party.
- You want to shut yourself off for a little bit. You need time to heal on your own.
- Choose to step away from people who make you feel worse.
- Feel overwhelmed by being with your friends. You’re just running low on social juice.
- You can’t concentrate on reading. Why not do some colouring instead?
- You haven’t changed out of your pyjamas all weekend. Just have a shower in the morning, ok?
- You want to start your life fresh. Change one little thing at a time.
- You think your job is making you worse. Take a few days off and evaluate the situation. Is it time to look for a new job?
- You need to get your teddy out of the loft. Give it a squeeze and have a little cry.
- You need to turn your phone off. People will still be there when you’re ready to deal with it.
- You want to go to your friend’s and sit in silence. Being around someone else can help.
- You want to sit in a crowded bar to feel invisible for a bit
Remember, it’s YOUR mental health. Don’t let anyone tell you how to deal with it. One day you might need to be around people and the next, you might need to be alone. That’s totally ok! Look after yourself first.
Photo by Carli Jeen on Unsplash