Being a girl is tough. Sometimes you’ll want to cry when you watch kittens chasing a laser light, sometimes you’ll want to scream at the woman who is paying for her weekly shop with coppers. But it’s ok.
Here are my favourite 15 home truths.
- Saturday nights are boring. It’s ok to lie in bed and eat an entire pizza and a tub of Ben and Jerry’s Half Baked ice cream and watch Netflix. Just not every Saturday. Find a dance class, go to a show, have a really long bath with candles.
- It’s ok if your hair is mostly dry shampoo. Just make sure you shower every day to wash your ‘pits and bits’ as my Mum used to say
- If you have to work ridiculously hard to make a relationship work, then it’s probably best to walk away from the people who don’t make you happy. No explanation needed.
- It’s completely ok to give yourself a high five after you’ve completed that horrible project/said no to the ex who keeps asking to see you/got up this morning and didn’t cry.
- On a Monday morning, don’t rush yourself to start working as soon as you turn on your computer. It’s ok to see how many emails you have and make a cup of tea first.
- If you wake up thinking “I don’t want to go to work this morning, I might just throw myself down the last few steps…” then it’s probably time to think about your job. Just have a bit of a plan ok? It’s never a nice feeling to wake up and realise you have to somehow make money to pay your bills
- If you’re single, it’s ok to sing Adele into your hairbrush on a Friday night when all of your friends are sharing selfies with their boyfriends saying #lovehim #forever
- Periods are the worst. Just don’t be a complete monster. You have 21 days a month where you have to deal with the things you said when you were PMS-ing
- Talking of periods, don’t be ashamed of your comfy period pants/jeans/joggers. Everyone has them, it’s ok.
- Expensive underwear from Agent Provocateur is not just for men to look at for a second then throw on the floor. Wear it to go to the supermarket, wear it to work. Wear it because you spent a lot of money on it and it makes you feel like Superwoman.
- If you’re not where you want to be in life, that’s ok. Remember, J K Rowling was 32 when Harry Potter was published. It’s just not your time yet.
- Gym leggings from Primark are just as good as branded ones. £10 from Primark, or £90 from Sweaty Betty? Think about it.
- It’s ok to do the Sudokus in the paper and feel really proud of yourself all day. Pick up a book once a month, you never know, you might find a gem.
- If you want to wear your little Converse pumps to the club, do it. The girls in heels will have to sit down at midnight and they’ll be miserable. You can do the running man past them on your way to get another tequila shot.
- Cuddling releases endorphins which make you happier. So cuddle everything. That fluffy jumper you just saw? Give it a squeeze. Your mum? Any excuse for a cuddle. You’ll feel better.